Interstate / International Custody

Washington Interstate Custody Attorney

The world is now more “global” than ever. Marriages and families transcend state lines, and many husbands and wives spend time apart in different nations. With this evolution have come legal issues around the custody of children. When parents separate or obtain a divorce, various laws apply.

The law firm of Gilson-Moreau & Associates, P.S., works with clients attempting to regain custody from a parent currently located in another state or country, or from parents with whom the child is physically present. Your child may be located in another state or country, leading to highly contested child custody disputes that require the advice and assistance of an experienced Washington interstate custody lawyer.

Significant Knowledge of Child Custody Laws

In the U.S., your child custody dispute will be governed by the UCCJEA (Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act) applies. This law determines which state will have jurisdiction to make or modify custody and requires that states enforce each other’s determinations. The attorneys at our firm have significant experience dealing with these complex laws and will aggressively protect your rights and interests in your child custody dispute.

Additionally, the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (The Hague Convention) is a treaty designed to return children to their home country (“habitual residence”). It works to prevent a parent from trying to obtain an advantage by taking the children to another country where they think the law might be more favorable to them.

Regardless of your situation, we are here to help. We understand the criteria courts use to award custody and work hard to develop a personalized strategy to help you regain custody of your children.

Let Us Help: Contact a Washington UCCJEA Lawyer

Our attorneys have a combined 50 years of experience. We are dedicated advocates for our clients and offer reduced rates for an initial consultation. Contact a Washington international custody lawyer at 425-462-2226 or contact our family law office online today.